ACT on Alzheimer’s Paynesville
Updated February 2018
In 2018, we are continuing the work we started as an ACT community to become dementia friendly.
What We’re Doing for Our Community
- Providing weekly assistance and education for shoppers at our local grocery store who have dementia
- Educating elementary and middle school students about dementia; planning to extend to high school students
- Providing Dementia Friends sessions upon request
- Assisting individuals and families with their dementia journey
- Starting a video histories program to share life stories with families
Connect with Us
About Our ACT Community
The Paynesville Area ACT on Alzheimer’s was formed in 2014. The work plan served as a guide to encouraging actions to promote a diverse variety of efforts dedicated to creating a dementia friendly community. The ACTion Team is made up of representatives of health care, social service agencies, the Paynesville Area Center, and those who are or have been a caregiver to someone living with dementia.
Snapshot of Activities
- Display public billboard to promote Paynesville as a dementia friendly community
- Provided Dementia Friends Information Session to emergency responders including firefighters and first responders, families, local organizations, school students and community members.
- Trained “Ollie,” the first dementia friendly therapy canine in Minnesota, to provide comfort and calming companionship to people with dementia.
- Provided educational presentations with expert speakers to physicians and healthcare professionals, caregivers, police, emergency responders and firefighters
- Providing Alzheimer’s friendly business training to city employees, Chamber of Commerce members and local businesses.
- Continue to distribute pamphlets about Alzheimer's disease/dementia in local grocery store and have volunteers assist with shopping or provide "coffee and companionship" while the family caregiver shops
- Provide books and information materials to elementary, middle and high school libraries and teachers
Resources, News and Events
Addressing Alzheimer’s in Paynesville, 2016 CentraCare Health Annual Report
Paynesville ACTion Community in the news, July 8, 2015
Paynesville kick off event held November 16, 2014
Training for Emergency Personnel held October 5, 2015 (flyer)