ACT on Alzheimer’s Brainerd/Baxter
Updated February 2018
In 2018, we are still working to become dementia friendly, and our efforts have expanded or changed beyond only being an ACT community.
What We’re Doing for Our Community
- Hosting an annual Educational Forum on Dementia (2018 one is May 8 at Arrowwood Lodge, Baxter)
- Using an interactive dementia experience educational tool we created called Live Interactive Virtual Experience (LIVE); we have used LIVE to train more than 130 professionals and individuals
- Meeting one day a month to continue our work as advocates
Connect with Us
About Our ACT Community
ACT Brainerd/Baxter was established in July 2013. ACTion Team members represent community service providers, the health care community, residential settings, adult day programs, local businesses, local government, and both formal and informal caregivers. Lakes Area Memory Awareness Advocates (LAMAA) was a key leader in launching the effort.
Snapshot of Activities
- Offer Dementia Friends Information Sessions.
- Host an annual educational forum on dementia.
- Created LIVE! (Live Interactive Virtual Experience), which allows participants to experience what it is like to live with dementia.
- Offer four support groups within a 35-mile radius of Brainerd/Baxter.
- Built relationships with local high school Key Club to recruit student volunteers for several of LAMAA events.
Resources, News and Events
Group Receives Grant to Support Dementia-Friendly Community
June 1, 2015, Brainerd Dispatch
Meeting on Dementia-Friendly Communities Planned
March 16, 2015, Brainerd Dispatch